Wednesday, April 13, 2011

And we wonder why Enterprise Architecture efforts seldom succeed...

It's been a while but worth the wait since I have finally been rewarded with a question on the ebizQ SOA forum worthy of attention :).

Gartner recently stated "Enterprise architecture (EA) is a key strategic initiative, as the majority of practitioners have shifted their focus to their business's strategic vision, not focusing on the IT organization alone. By 2016, 30 percent of EA efforts will be supported as a collaboration between business and IT, up from 9 percent in early 2011."

The question on the forum was "Do you agree?"

All I can say is "Wow!!!"

A 30% collaboration on EA between business and IT by the year 2016! I wish I could have heard and seen Betsy Burton, vice president and distinguished analyst at Gartner, as she quoted these numbers. I would have loved to see how she would have managed to keep a straight face while quoting these numbers without any hint of sarcasm in her voice. 

With abysmal numbers like these is it any wonder why most Enterprise Architecture initiatives fail miserably? If only 9% of EA efforts today are a collaboration between business and IT then what the heck are the other 91% efforts doing? 

Want to see more wins for EA? Then don't wait for 30% collaboration by 2016; instead strive for 100% collaboration by the year 2012.

Click here to follow the entire discussion on the ebizQ SOA forum.